Monday, January 01, 2007

It's not that quick...

It will take a while before I actually leave. First, there is this matter of work commitment. I am currently working as a consultant, and the contract ends in April 2007. That's another four months of work. Counting the holidays I'm planning on taking, long week-ends and normal week-ends, that's actually 67 working days left. Not too bad...

The timing, for once, is quite good. My South African friend Connie invited me to sail with him on his trip up the East coast of Africa, from South Africa to madagascar and Mozambique. His words are "... for a trip that will hopefully end in Thailand". I've been wanting to visit Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia for a while. This sounds like the right time.

Connie intends to leave in May. My job ends in April. I have started looking for tickets for a passage on a shipping line to SA. I love flying, the feeling you get when you're above the clouds is impossible to describe to somebody who's never been in an aeroplane. But I've come to hate airports, especially after September 2001. The mascarade they put us through, and make us pay for, under the pretense of security is simply ridiculous. It would be laughable if it wasn't so frustrating. So I've decided to travel by sea. Since there aren't any regular cruse lines going that way, my choice is rather to use a commerical shipping line. Another advantage is that I'll be able to take as much photographic equipment with me as I want, in addition to my paragliding and scuba-diving equipment.

Screw the airlines, is what I say...

In the meantime, while I wait for travel arrangements to happen, I'm having a good time at my friend Dédé's chalet. I spent Old Years Eve and New Years Day with G. It was a quiet time, relaxed, with some good conversation, good food (fondue Savoyarde) and pleasant drinks...

Cooling down

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home